Golden, 50th Anniversary Party for Burchfield Penney

My favorite art gallery in Buffalo, the Burchfield Penney, just celebrated its 50th anniversary! The gallery is actually right next to and a part of my college, Buffalo State. They held a celebration event a few weeks ago that was open to the public so Dave and I went. All the exhibits were open and they had local musicians playing all around the museum.

The art center is named and dedicated to Charles Burchfield, American painter from the mid-1900s. Many of his pieces are showcased permanently in the gallery and he is known for his beautiful and intricate watercolors. Below are a couple of his watercolors.

Here are some snapshots from the event! It was a great time and lots of people came, it’s always nice to take some time to appreciate art. I think so often people assume that art is something you have to understand, or be really into in order to like it. But you don’t need to know all the history behind it or how it’s made to appreciate it. You can just appreciate it because you think it’s pretty or interesting. It doesn’t need to always make you “feel something” sometimes it’s nice just to look at and appreciate that someone created something beautiful from scratch for others to enjoy.

Processed with VSCO with a6 presetProcessed with VSCO with a6 preset

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

Processed with VSCO with a6 presetProcessed with VSCO with a6 presetProcessed with VSCO with a6 presetProcessed with VSCO with a6 presetProcessed with VSCO with a6 preset

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

(my music professor!)

1. December 29, 2016 / 1:13 pm

Beautiful pictures Francesca! I agree with you, I have no idea about art, nevertheless I do enjoy visiting art galleries and even buying for our home.
    Love,
    Tatjana

• December 29, 2016 / 1:48 pm

Thanks! I totally agree it’s just fun to enjoy!

2. December 30, 2016 / 12:54 am

This looks like it was such a fab party babe! I love visiting art galleries and learning about different types of work. I wish we had more galleries where I lived.

xoxo Rina

3. December 30, 2016 / 11:00 am

I wish I would’ve gone!! I wanted to. Looks like so much fun. I was the art correspondent for The Record when I was at Buffalo State so I love the Burchfield. Awesome photos!

• January 1, 2017 / 11:40 am

Thank you! And art correspondent, that’s awesome! Yeah it was really nice, I love it there!

December 30, 2016 / 12:40 pm

This sounds like a brilliant way of spending the day; admiring the art to the sound of local musicians! You make a great point about artwork being inspiring/admirable all on its own, and not needing to be completely explained 🙂

aglassofice.com
    x

5. January 25, 2017 / 9:41 am

It’s good to get a fresh way of lonkiog at it.

6. February 11, 2017 / 2:30 pm

Hi, the poem is actually a few pages long, so I couldn’t write it down in my notes. When I revisit the gallery toward the end of this week, I’ll be taking photos–if permissable by Deitch–including the Korine poem. Thanks for reading AP! CS

7. February 11, 2017 / 8:44 pm

Mieli tautininkų vadai, gal jums su galva ne viskas tvarkoj, kad laikot savo gretose tokius sutvėrimus, kaip Amelija?!!! Aš buvau tautininkų suvažiavime, mačiau kaip įtariu tą Ameliją ir visą jos tolerastinį aktyvų dalyvavimą, ji dar turbūt ir jūsų sąraše įrašyta? Norint kažką laimėti, ar kad jus pradėtų rimtesni žmonės remti, pirmiausia reiktų išsivalyti savo partiją nuo panašaus brudo!

• April 2, 2017 / 11:57 am

Reading posts like this make surfing such a pleausre

• April 24, 2017 / 6:50 pm

I was just going to ask if that Cool Whip is even available in Australia.Obviously, lol, as you are here!But I've never seen it 🙁 Nor have I seen that jell-o choc pudding brand before.But I'll make do with something else. Because that sounds delicious! 🙂