Live Like a Parisian

IMG_6235-11

“The French woman is not overdone in any way. The French woman fears nothing; she will go out without fixing her hair, with unpainted nails, and no makeup. Despite her apparent dishevelment, she remains elegant.” – Excerpt from Paris Street Style

I adore everything and everything about the classic “French lifestyle”. Granted, I’ve never been to France (unfortunately) and I don’t even know anyone from France, but I’m talking about the Parisian lifestyle in the movies, books, and how I like to believe people there live.

When I watch movies like Funny Face, with Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire having a wonderful time in the city of love, I want to visit Paris so much. Or in Midnight in Paris, when Owen Wilson (I just call the characters by their actors because I don’t remember the names) travels back to the time period he believed Paris was in it’s golden age, the 1920’s. Everyone dressed beautifully back then (THOSE DRESSES), but in this current time period, I feel as though the effortless chic that Parisians do so well, is more elegant than ever.

This isn’t to say France is the only place that has that effortlessly chic style mastered, but they’re my example today because, quoting Audrey, “Paris is always a good idea.”

While in New York, I found two books at Strand, and sort of fell in love with them. One is Paris Street Style by Isabelle Thomas and Frederique Veysset, and the other is Parisian ChicΒ by Ines de la Fressange with Sophie Gachet. These books are the best style guides I think I’ve read. They contain so much great style advice, and ideas that I have hardly put them down.

My favorite part out of both books, is the beginning of Paris Street Style, when the author writes about personal style. She describes style as our way of expressing ourselves, which is very true. When you think about it, personal style is like your own fingerprint. My wardrobe has so many thrifted pieces, and clothes from so many different stores, that it is pretty much impossible for someone to have the exact same wardrobe. Everyone’s collection of clothes is unique to them, and the way everyone designs their outfits is also particular to them and their preferences. I love reading style blogs, magazines, books and pinterest for outfit ideas, but when it comes down to standing in front of my closet at 10:00 PM picking out my outfit for school, my own brain has to put together the clothes using what I own.

This is why I respect a well put-together outfit so much. When someone goes shopping, even to the grocery store, or work, school, dinner or anywhere, they had to stand in front of their wardrobe and decide what clothes to wear with what, and what accessories to use with that blouse, or whether the gold earrings complements the skirt more than the silver ones. They had to put together the perfect outfit according to the weather, occasion, and mood they were in that day. Wearing clothes is so much more than a little shopping and “just throwing something on”. It’s a choice reflective on the person’s personality and taste.

I believe that people all over the world can dress like a Parisian. Dressing in an elegant, yet effortless way is a beautiful look that many people perfect every day. Always be proud of what you are wearing, because it’s your style. And next time you go grocery shopping, complement people on their outfits when you like them, because chances are, that outfit took a bit of planning and perfecting and now ended up being an outfit which you, in that moment of time, get to observe. You get to see their style, and their own personal interpretation of trends, and that is a beautiful thing.

IMG_6257-1

IMG_6310-1

IMG_6275-1

IMG_6307-1

IMG_6272-1

{Wearing: H&M top and jacket, thrifted shorts, tights from target, MMS bag, Crown Vintage shoes, Rachel Leigh necklace (worn as headband)}

1. October 24, 2013 / 8:25 pm

You look great:) And I have that book Parisian Chic and love it to death.

2. October 25, 2013 / 2:37 am

I love it how you have used that necklace as a headband. looks very beautiful and romantic. I also love the bag and your fun patterned shorts that actually look like a skirt, hehe. I thought it was a skirt but then read the outfit info and took another look πŸ™‚ by the way, this was a very interesting post and I especially enjoyed the last two paragraphs which are so true in my opinion.

3. October 25, 2013 / 6:45 am

Hello dear…
    I love your stylish blog…

Would you like to follow each other? Just let me know so that I can follow back…
    Chadlen

4. October 25, 2013 / 6:39 pm

Hi sweety, I loved how you composes this post and agree on every point. Midnight in Paris is one of my favorite movies, the French women in general are so chic in an effortless way. I can imagine that this beautifully casual-elegant look you put together is something that can be seen on the streets of Paris. Love the styling. Stopping by to wish you a wonderful weekend!

5. October 25, 2013 / 11:47 pm

“When you think about it, personal style is like your own fingerprint. My wardrobe has so many thrifted pieces, and clothes from so many different stores, that it is pretty much impossible for someone to have the exact same wardrobe. Everyone’s collection of clothes is unique to them, and the way everyone designs their outfits is also particular to them and their preferences.” — i love everything that you said here and basically your perspective on clothes and personal style πŸ™‚ you are pretty as always and i think its so clever that you turned that necklace into a headband ^^

6. October 26, 2013 / 2:45 am

Love your pretty outfit! The jacket is a classic! Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos. xo

7. October 26, 2013 / 12:31 pm

oh yes you look like a parisian, very nice outfit!

8. October 26, 2013 / 6:47 pm

I love your flower crown and your skirt. You look so stylish.

9. October 27, 2013 / 1:25 am

I love everything you wrote in this post, so so much and agree with all that you said! I think you’ve got the Parisian chic thing down! You are super stylish even when you wear casual clothes. πŸ™‚ I feel the same way about London as you do about France/Paris. I just feel that in general, somehow, Europeans tend to get it right more often (with style) than many Americans do. Not sure why that is!

• October 27, 2013 / 1:14 pm

No unfortunately! Oh bummer. It was so cute too. Maybe I’ll find something like it another time.

• October 27, 2013 / 1:13 pm

Thank you!! It’s true, many Europeans have really great style!

10. October 27, 2013 / 3:23 am

Aw you definitely look like a parisian as this outfit looks so effortless, yet is so, so chic! I think I like your headband the most as it looks perfect together with your gorgeous locks! πŸ™‚
    Beautiful outfit!

11. October 27, 2013 / 10:47 pm

I can see you living in Paris and being one of those Parisian girls with amazing style πŸ™‚ Haha, love your floral headband you added!

The Dragonfruit Diaries

12. October 29, 2013 / 9:54 am

Cute outfit! Love the floral crown πŸ™‚

13. October 29, 2013 / 4:30 pm

I know what you’re saying and I would liek to go to Paris soo much! I haven’t read these books but thank you for sharing, I’ll definitely try to find them somewhere here in Croatia πŸ™‚
    Btw you look beautiful and I love how you used your necklace as a headband!

• October 30, 2013 / 11:06 pm

I definitely recommend them, they are really great books! Thanks!!

14. October 30, 2013 / 5:23 am

I’ve read both of those book but when it comes to style my credo is what Gore Vidal said, “style is knowing who you are, what you want to say and not giving a damn” πŸ™‚ Also I’ve been seeing a lot of flower crowns for 2 years in a row now, I guess that trend will not still going away anytime soon. I think it’s the biggest trend of the generation Y hahaha

You look sweet and adorable as always πŸ™‚

• October 30, 2013 / 11:07 pm

Oh wow, that is a good quote! Very true! They probably are, I’m a huge fan of them! Thanks!

15. October 30, 2013 / 8:50 am

I love the idea of dressing effortless but still looking elegant… and you look just that, my sweet Francesca! I adore that crown of yours. It’s amazing how adding a piece like that to an outfit can elegantly class it up, hehe.

I agree with you–it really is a conscious decision to decide what you’re going to wear, and I take note of that when I see people! Even if it’s a “quick” outfit, there was still something going on in their head when they decided to wear it. πŸ™‚

16. Anonymous
    Author
    October 30, 2013 / 10:38 am

Thanks for your lovely words on my last post!
    I love this outfit – the hair band is so, so pretty and these shorts are to die for!

Have a great day,
    -Kati

17. October 31, 2013 / 5:28 pm

love the jacket and headband both! awesome look. xx. gigi.

18. November 3, 2013 / 2:54 am

You look really like a modern doll here. I love your hair and the elegant headband. Well, when I’ve not stepped into Paris, I always felt it was a beautiful and romantic city. When I went there 2 years ago during winter, I experienced what all my friends who have been to Paris experienced — the smell. In books and movies where the city is romanticized, nobody talks about the smell and people who haven’t been there would base all sights and knowledge on what they watch and read. Many underground parts of Paris and the subway stations reeked of pee. It was fortunate that the cold in winter helped mellow down the stench for I often heard how the stench is so overpowering during the warm weather. Eeks… I don’t know if I’ve spoilt your image of Paris. Overall, I still like Paris. It was one of the stops for our honeymoon. =)

• November 9, 2013 / 9:07 am

Thanks! I did not know that, that’s too bad! I guess that’s one of the trade-offs for Paris, it can’t be perfect, haha!

19. November 5, 2013 / 4:04 pm

Lovely outfit, your crown is beautiful πŸ™‚